Heavenly Light

Heavenly Light
Read to see the light

Friday, December 21, 2007

World Town: A Blank Slate pt. 2

Photobucket

Tomorrow is our big day, a culmination of a years worth of inspiration, parties, meeting people and learning about this world. I have been living with my brother, a DJ and Director of Music for Energy 92.7 responsible for the Mix at 6 and Clubbers Commute. As I moved to San Francisco and quickly got involved within the industry, I found my own methods to justifying reasons to go out every night with with my brother as the Nightlie Ambassador for Leblon Cachaca. Quickly making Caipirinhas and Cahcaca a new fad within the San Francisco nightlife scene our ideas began to flourish on how prominent our influence can be. As two white boys from Boulder CO, well traveled and educated, we never faced very many problems growing up. Growing up in Boulder for some is as good as it gets, a pinnacle of society, to others, its a bubble of non reality that hides the real world. Sons of a family of rebelious liberals, it only makes sense to follow in their footsteps. Growing up on our Grandfather's stories of World War II, piloting planes with his knees over the Philipeans, and endless seemingly non-nonsensical and unbelievable stories about traveling through jungles in Latin America on a three month mission to interview a Colombian drug lords. Joe Bell, my Grandfather, an ever faithful liberal columnist, based out of ever so Republican Orange County, has forever inspired me to follow those instincts, write, and make a difference by being a compassionate kind of person, open to people who society might otherwise seem to outcast. To my uncle David, an English Lit professor who I have only met once. From my mother one of the most passionate and inspirational women I know to my Auntie Patt, a gifted thinker and talented awarding winning Childern's author--driven to overcome and continue to do what she loves, no matter what life brings to our tables.

On the other side of our family exists the same level of inspirational, talented and passionate people. With ancestral Scottish roots wonderfully whisked all they way to ...Wyoming...To My Grandmother who managed to raise three extremely (and I dont use the word "extremly" lightly) liberal children. From my uncle Charlie, born to Mary and Joe Simpson on Christmas day...we always wondered why they never named him Jesus?! Exiled from Wyoming to having founded some of the first community living houses in Boulder CO, he pioneered the peaceful anti-Vietnam activism and hippie movements..To my father whose draft dodging skills were fine tuned by his brother and classmates at Whiteman school in Steamboat CO. His ambitions of being a teacher were cut short when he actually saw the reality of a inner city Denver public school. To my Auntie M (as in Marcia) who boggled my mind with her boggle skills and always gave the coolest gifts at Christmas, we all got our first "Walkmans" in 1988 which may have something to do with our passion for music.

To my fabulous cousins born and raised in the Corona Club.

From my studies in Paraguay which opened my eyes to the world and increased an ever growing desire to experience this world. Going to school in DC, living in Brasil, learning langauges and living with host families. To my host mothers, Norma and Amparo, that were patient with me and saw my desire to really see, understand and partake as a member of their respective families...and to those families that took me in as if I truly was a member of theirs...Just another White Boy from Colorado, a respected member of various families throughout the world...and you and them rest of the World as a respected member of my family.

Photobucket


A lifetime of not very much struggle, but the ability to see struggles around the world, we are all one town, we are World Town...

No comments: