Heavenly Light

Heavenly Light
Read to see the light

Monday, October 22, 2007

Moon Phases



I have been quite intrigued by the moon and the stars since I was a little kid. I grew up in Colorado and my father is from Wyoming. My Grandparents owned a house outside of Laramie in a town called Centenial, ironically enough, the population is 100.

I am sure I will be writing more stories about growing up at the Crazy "S" as we called the humble abode, with 3 acres, a pond and river access. This is where as kids we could run free, learn the value of hard work, be creative, seek solitude, be with family, learn how to play poker, sled in the winter, set off fireworks that in most states are illegal in the summer, and best of all at night, gaze at the stars until it was way past your bedtime, but it didnt matter because Grandpa's famous sour dough pancakes got you out of bed at the crack of dawn so you could still cast a few lines into the pond before the fish stopped biting.

Its hard to see the stars here in Oakland, and I miss that. I have become fond of learning about astrology, the basics at least for now. Like looking at the traits of my own sign, Virgo, who a friend posted to me the other day...

"When a Virgo shines, there is practically no sign to match their inner light. When a Virgo is confident within themselves they are the most successful, structured and creative of all the signs.

One of the most magical characteristics of the Virgo is no matter how many times life or romance turns sour on them, they still manage to maintain faith in others, refusing to become cynical.

Creative and sensitive, Virgos are delicate people who, like rare and special orchids, require individual treatment to fully blossom into their true unique beauty. They often generate their time and energy into making those they love happy or successful.

Virgos are givers and when the chips are down and you need a friend, the one available during those testing times when you need advice or companionship the most, is likely to be a Virgo. Virgos understand human frailties better than most, because they are so deep and reflective themselves.

With a Virgo in your life you have someone who understands and cares and any romance or friendship based upon these qualities is certain to be mutually rewarding."

I feel like I do embody these characteristics, and thus am proud to be a Virgo. I remain very skeptical in my beliefs, yet being that way allows me to actually believe things, if I know how skeptical I am, then when I do come to the notion of accepting something new, there must be good reason...

I like full moons...and feel that the world is potentially dominated by its phases, but the stars and heavens above, the energy the holds all of this together, and makes us do what we do. And sometimes I try to fight those inclinations....but why? If there are so many unanswered questions out there, we must do what we can in order to take the steps in order to answer them...or maybe they are to be left unanswered, and that is the quest in and of itself...



What I really wanted to write about in this post was the difference in the moon from north to south hemispheres...

When I put on the moon watcher, it ask me for northern or southern hemisphere...I clicked on each to see the difference...then I remembered when I was living in Brasil, the moon always looked different...and coming back, it was different too...The moon and the stars go in opposite directions...to break it down simply...lets say here in Oakland, I watch the moon in its Waxing stage, and it grows from right to left...in Brasil, when the moon is waxing, it grows from left to right...

Stars move differently, the moon also moves across the sky in an opposite direction...what happens right on the equator?!

I put my moon phase calculator on the Southern Hemisphere because in Brasil is when I truly began to be more in tune to the moon cycles, and how they in turn, effect my behavior, the people around you, and the rest of the world...

No comments: